Fruit cakes are present at various Christmas events across the globe. However, they are made with slight variances. For example, in some cultures, walnuts, and other nuts, are added to the cake batter while in others, candied peel, citrus zests and/or orange juice, black tea, brandy or rum are added to the batter.
This fruit cake recipe makes a delicious cake. However, it also serves as a base for any vegan fruit cake. You can customise it by adding extra ingredients to it to make it more suited to your cultural or creative preferences. We should note that if you add any additional liquids to the recipe, you should reduce that amount from the quantity of almond milk used.
The amount of raisins in this recipe is the amount to keep this cake sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet. Therefore, it is more suitable or those who do not enjoy very sweet treats. However, the salted caramel sauce will be rather sweet so, for those who prefer to avoid very sweet treats you can omit the sauce.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and it helps you make the perfect fruit cake for your Christmas desserts.
1 Apple, chopped into large pieces
1tsp Lemon Juice
150g Raisins/Mixed Fruits (add up to 250g, if preferred)
400g All-Purpose Flour
8tsp Baking Powder
150g Brown Sugar
1/2tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2tsp Ground Cinnamon
310ml Almond Milk
110ml Neutral Tasting Oil (such as vegetable oil)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
Salted Caramel Sauce
5tbsp Brown Sugar
2.5tbsp Vegan Butter
2tsp Almond Milk
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
Method (preheat oven to 190C)
- In a food processor, combine the apple pieces and lemon juice together until they are finely chopped.
- Mix the apple mixture and raisins together then heat them up in a sauce pan on a medium heat level for approximately 7mins.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and create a well in the centre of them.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well and combine them with the dry ingredients.
- Fold the apple and raisin mixture into the cake batter till relatively evenly distributed.
- Rub vegan butter (or oil) into a baking tin then pour the cake batter into it.
- Hit the bottom of the tin against your counter 2-3 times to knock out any air that might be trapped within the batter.
- Place the tin at the centre of a baking tray set at the middle level of the oven and bake the cake for 1hr.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the butter, brown sugar and milk till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let the butter mixture cool for 10mins then stir in as much powdered sugar as you wish (to your desired sweetness or consistency).
- Add in a pinch of salt, stir again.
- When the cake is done baking, let it cook for 10-15mins before drizzling the caramel sauce over it. Alternatively, you can serve the sauce in a bowl beside the cake slices so people can add on as much as little as they would like if they would like some salted caramel sauce with their cake.