Black bean noodle meets stir-fried pasta – that’s what our black bean pasta is like. It doesn’t contain a chunjang (fermented black bean paste) like the traditional Korean-Chinese black bean noodles, jjajangmyeon. However, in place of chunjang, it is made using a blend of black beans, garlic, ginger and other flavour enhancing ingredients. This blend is used to stir fry vegetables (keeping the recipe low-fat) then the rest of it is tossed with pasta to make a delicious, umami, flavoursome meal.
The black beans in this recipe are great sources of nutrients such as protein, fibre, thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), niacin (vitamin B-3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), folate (vitamin B-9), calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, omega fatty acids, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc. Although black beans are high in carbohydrates they have a lower glycemic index than a lot of other high carb foods. They also aid in minimising the risk and effects of diabetes by reducing the spike in blood sugar levels from consuming food. You can find more information about the benefits of the nutrients found in black beans in our Nutrient Index.
Without further ado, here’s our black bean pasta recipe!
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
Vegan Ribbon/Strand Pasta (such as spaghetti, capellini, tagliatelle, fettuccine or linguine)
Soy chunks, rehydrated (desired quantity)
1 x 400g can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
2 Garlic Cloves
1tsp Ginger, minced
10g Vegetable Stock Cube (substitute with vegan seasoning cube)
2-3tbsp Soy Sauce
1tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
235ml Warm Water
1/2 Purple Onion, sliced
4 Mushrooms, thinly sliced (white or chestnut, preferable)
Chillies, thinly sliced (to desired heat level)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped or sliced
1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped or sliced
1/4 Green Bell Pepper, chopped or sliced
1/2 Carrot, julienned or finely chopped
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
- In a blender, combine 2/3 of the black bean with the garlic, ginger, sugar, stock cube, sugar, stock cube, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and water.
- In a pan, pour in about 2 tablespoons of your black bean mixture followed by your rehydrated soy chunks, onions and mushrooms. Sautée for 2 minutes, adding a little more of the black bean mixture and/or a splash of water if the pan dries up.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (excluding the pasta) with a few more tablespoons of the black bean mixture and sautée for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the pasta to the pan of vegetable and toss it to fully combine. Just before serving, pour in the rest of the bean mixture and toss the pasta to ensure it is evenly coated. If you do this a long time before serving, the sauce might dry out a bit on the pasta.
Serving suggestion: garnish with sesame seeds and chilli flakes.
If you try the recipe, upload a picture of it to Instagram with the hashtag #lickyourplaterecipe so we can have a look at and like it.