Banana bread is one of the most delicious breads we have tasted. It is moist, it is delicious, it has a higher nutritional content than the conventional bread, contains over 50g of protein (per loaf) and it does not require a topping such as butter or jam.
This bread works well for breakfast, as a snack and as a dessert. It can be frozen for later consumption and it keeps in the fridge for about a week (although it might harden a little when lower than room temperature).
Our banana bread recipe is perfect for any day and anytime so, without further ado, here’s our recipe.
65g Steel Cut Oats
200g Self-Raising Flour
0.5tsp Sea Salt
2tsp Baking Powder
0.5-0.75tsp Ground Cinnamon
Chia Egg (2tsp chia seeds + 7tsp water)
170ml Vegan Buttermilk
2tbsp Coconut Oil
1.5-2 Bananas, mashed
20g Brown Sugar
20g White Sugar
1tsp Date Syrup (optional)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Method (pre-heat the oven to 190°C/374°F)
- Combine the dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
- Create a well in the centre of the bowl and pour in the wet ingredients stirring to combine well.
- Lightly oil or flour dust a rectangular/loaf tin and pour the batter in.
- Place the tin in the middle of the preheated oven for 1.5-2hrs (N.B. Do not open the oven until an hour is completed. Gently close the oven to prevent collapsing)
- Stick a knife or toothpick through the middle of the bread (after 1.5hrs). If it comes out completely clean, the bread is done and can be taken out of the oven.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack and leave it to cool for at least 15mins before slicing it.
If you try the recipe, upload a picture of it to Instagram with the hashtag #lickyourplaterecipe so I can have a look at and like it.