This Pad Thai Ramen Soup recipe is a featured recipe developed by Francesca of Plantifully Based and PlantifullyBasedBlog.com.
This soup is a fusion dish that plays off the flavours of Pad Thai. Traditionally, Pad Thai contains fish sauce. As this dish is vegan, in its place, soy sauce is used in order to provide a nice umami flavour. However, you can always substitute that with a vegan fish sauce.
In relation to heat levels, authentically, Thai chillies would be used. However, for this recipe, sriracha was used to make the process of cooking and controlling the heat level this easier.
As for common allergens, in order to make this dish soy-free, replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos and exclude the tofu. To make the dish gluten-free, substitute the soy sauce for tamari or coconut aminos and use gluten-free ramen. With regards to making the dish nut-free, just leave out the peanuts.
Without further ado, here’s Francesca’s Pad Thai Soup recipe!
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
1 nest of ramen [70g]
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup light coconut milk
4 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
4 small heads bok choy, chopped [80g]
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 shallot, diced
2 tsp sesame oil
1/8 cup roasted peanuts, chopped [14g]
3-4 stalks green onion
Microgreens and sesame seeds
Pad Thai Sauce
1 tbsp organic brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp sriracha
1/8 lime, juiced
- Prepare the Pad Thai sauce by adding all the ingredients into a bowl and whisking together. If you do not like your food spicy add less sriracha.
- In a pot add 1 tsp of sesame oil, the shallots and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the broth, coconut milk and Pad Thai sauce. Bring to a boil.
- While waiting for it to boil you can chop up the bok choy, peanuts, green onion and tofu.
- In a pan add 1 tsp of sesame oil and pan fry the tofu until crispy.
- Once the soup is boiling add the ramen, bok choy and half of the green onion. Mix together and boil until ramen is cooked.
- When the soup is done and tofu is crispy you are ready to plate the soup!
- Add it into a big bowl and top with extra lime juice, lime, sriracha if you like, peanuts, remaining green onion and microgreens.
Serving Suggestions: To make it even more like Pad Thai you could add in bean sprouts, vegan scrambled eggs or even make the soup with Pad Thai noodles.
If you try the recipe, upload a picture of it to Instagram with the hashtag #lickyourplaterecipe or tag @lickyourplates_, @sammysingally.food and @plantifullybased so we can have a look at it, like it, and, potentially, share it.