What do you do when you have a bunch of apricots? You make jam!
This apricot jam is one of the best jams I have ever tasted! To make it even better, it is guilt-free too as it is completely refined sugar-free.
The special ingredient used to thicken this jam is chia seeds. Chia seeds are my favourite powerhouse of nutrients. Some fun facts about them are that gramme for gramme, chia seeds contain:
- five times more calcium than a glass of milk
- 100% more omega-3 than salmon
- three times more iron than spinach, and
- two times more antioxidants than blueberries
Twenty grammes (2tbsp) of chia seeds also contain about 64% more potassium than that found in a banana and 20% of the recommended daily value of protein (for adults). There are many other nutrients and benefits found in these seeds.
The other ingredients in this recipe contain vitamin A, thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin vitamin B-2), niacin (vitamin B-3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxamine (vitamin B-6), folate (vitamin B-9), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, choline, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, phytosterols, calcium and fibre. Descriptions of all nutrients can be found in the Nutrient Index.
Get ready to dig into a bowl of goodness!
Lime juice, to taste
Date syrup, to taste
- Chop apricots into small pieces
- Place them into a saucepan with a few tablespoons of lime juice and a drizzle of date syrup (depending on how sweet your apricots are).
- Cook till the apricots soften, stirring often
- Take off the heat and mash with a potato masher till you reach your desired smoothness.
- Stir in some chia seeds and let the mixture cool down and thicken up to form a jam (drain off some of the liquid or add more chia seeds if you would like a very thick jam).
If you try the recipe, upload a picture of it to Instagram with the hashtag #lickyourplaterecipe so I can have a look at and like it.