Today, I am going to share with you a recipe for my beloved coconut rice. It is and easy to prepare and cook and it tastes SO SO GOOD!
This coconut rice is full of delicious vegetables that are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients such as iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, magnesium, calcium and potassium. All of which aid in the maintenance of our organs and body, in general.
Here’s the recipe for this rice dish bursting with flavour!
- Rice (either one type or a mixture of different colours/sizes of grain)
- Coconut Milk
- 1 Large Carrots
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/2 a Medium-sized White Onion
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- Green Beans
- 2-3 Large Mushrooms
- Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- 1/2-1tsp tomato purée
- Sea Salt
- Ground African Yellow Pepper (or chilli powder, but that’s a bit different)
- Black Pepper
- Curry Powder
- Optional: 1/4tsp Soy Sauce, 1/2-1tsp Maple Syrup and 1/4-1/2tsp Lime Juice
- In a pot/saucepan cook your rice until it is almost done.
- While the rice is cooking, chop up all your other ingredients and break the green beans once or twice by holding a bunch of them in your hands and twisting them till they break.
- In a non-stick saucepan, pour in about two tablespoons of water and add in your onions, garlic and ginger. Stir and let them cook until the onions soften. You might need to add more water every now and then to loosen up the onions and stop them from browning/burning.
- Next add in the tomatoes, bell pepper and carrots and stir some more and let them cook. Pour in the coconut milk and stir till the colour changes (due to the ingredients that were already in the saucepan.
- Add the vegetable bouillon powder and tomato purée and stir.
- After a few minutes, add in the mushrooms and green beans. Turn the heat down, if you must, so the sauce does not reduce too much.
- To taste, add the herbs, spices and optional ingredients (if you add the optional ingredients, preferably, add all three).
- Let the contents of the pan cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour in the rice, stir and let it finish cooking. Stir every few minutes to ensure that the rice at the bottom is not burning.
- Once the rice is done, turn down the heat and stir well.
- Serve with raw kale.
Let me know what you think if you try this recipe and what your favourite veggies are!